- Question: Hi! Your post about 911 was going around again and I had a question. I’d heard somewhere that you can use this to your advantage. In a pinch, you call 911 and hang up rather than going through the rigamaroll of waiting and such because it’ll actually get the police to show up faster. Is that true or is it an urban legend? - bunniesandbeheadings
Nonononooo! Do not do that. Please do not do that.
Contrary to popular belief, we don’t always magically have your address. Most people these days use cell phones instead of land lines and those give a general location rather than an exact address. Also, if you hang up before we can get a good ping from the cell phone, chances are we’ll get a tower location rather than your location, which can be miles away from where you are! Say you’re in an apartment complex and you hang up from a cell phone. How are we supposed to know which apartment you’re in? We can call phone companies to get your subscriber information or a better ping, but that just slows response time.
Also, not letting us know what the problem is puts officers in danger. The officers have no idea what they’re coming to if you just hang up. And chances are you won’t get the exact kind of response you need if they don’t know what they’re coming into. Say someone has a gun and is shooting at people. Wouldn’t you rather the officers know that information so that they can better prepare themselves to help you and everyone else before arriving on the scene?
Another problem with just hanging up is when you have a medical problem, it’s going to heavily delay response time. We send officers to investigate hang ups, not EMS. You’d have to wait for an officer to get there and assess the problem, tell the dispatcher, have the dispatcher spawn the EMS call, and then have the EMS dispatcher get a medic to you.
Basically, just stay on the line and answer the questions the call taker is asking you. Chances are we’re getting units out to you while the questions are being asked, so there’s no real delay of response. Sure an officer isn’t going to get to a belated break in as fast as they are a active disturbance, but there’s no immediate threat to life or property, so you have to understand and be patient. Keep in mind, you aren’t the only one in the city with an emergency and there are only so many units to help everyone!
tl;dr: that’s an urban legend no please don’t do that.
call in and hang up if you wanna die
some agencies don’t respond to hang up calls at all. like, delete them and do nothing, not even call back. some agencies don’t send anyone if they’re able to leave a voicemail when they call back, whether it’s a cell phone or a landline. some don’t send anyone regardless of whether voicemail was left if it’s a cell phone, since location isn’t even close to guaranteed on a cell phone hangup.
if you absolutely cannot talk due to the circumstances of your emergency, know that text to 911 is coming soon, a few cities currently have it, mostly for verizon phones. look it up online to see if it’s available in your area/with your cell phone carrier, but be aware that texting 911 is SUPER. DUPER. SLOW. so if you’re being actively murdered or something and want the fastest response possible calling and making your best attempt to scream the address (actually, pls don’t scream, I know you’re being murdered but try to speak as understandably as possible) will be your best bet.
My copy of American Gods magically appeared in my box at work overnight…I can’t remember who I loaned it to…just part of the theory of “Neil Gaiman books are magical”
Is there some kind of setting where google will tell you how many times you’ve already searched for a phrase?
- 1 day ago
- 3 days ago
- 4 days ago
Today (yestertoday, aka Wednesday):
- attempted to get loan fixed
- find out today is apparently the last day this loan can be fixed
- the fact that the loan even needs to be fixed is, again, all the car dealership’s fault (which was due to first, error, and then that error was compounded with lies)
- wasted an hour trying to get the loan fixed
- had to use up half my lunch break almost immediately after getting to work to go to the credit union across the street to finish signing damn papers, and don’t even know if they actually fixed the loan
- btw the credit union also lied! Told me they could do payroll deductions JK LIES so there’s some more shit to sort out
- spilled water all over my desk when I got back to work, all over the important papers
- thought I was gonna get to be on dispatch all night JUST KIDDING MORE LIES FOR YOUR LIFE WE’RE PUTTING YOU ON CALLTAKING HAHAHA GO CHOKE ON THAT
- everything is shit
- also I burned my toast for my dinner sandwiches
- I am sick of dealing with this goddamn car shit that should have been done correctly in the first place
- Glenn coco I hope I never see your weasel face again
- 4 days ago
Not everyone shares my desire for just retribution against the forces of Glenn Coco et al., but my dad and my uncle do so that’s good enough for me!